Along with many other observers across the industries we serve, we look forward with cautious optimism to an upward movement in overall business, as well as indicators of renewed growth in certain sectors which have already proven to be strong performers. The single best and most reassuring trend forecast for the label market in 2021: steady growth. Valued at over $36 billion back in 2017, the global market is projected to reach over $45 billion by 2022.
|Sanitizer Bottle Labels|
- Healthcare Labels: for vaccines, drugs and a variety of medicines, both prescription and over-the-counter preparations
- Warning/Safety Labels: for food; consumer goods such as cigarettes, pharmaceuticals, and flammable or fire-retardant materials; toys, or other small objects that might cause choking; hazardous chemicals; equipment; and workplace/construction settings
- Sanitizing Product Labels: for hand sanitizers as well as household and industrial cleaning/sanitizing products
- Food Labels: for mass-market and luxury/gourmet foods; spice containers; exotic food preparations and flavorings, such as tamarind and guava paste; and health foods
- Beverage Labels: Restrictions on bars, clubs and restaurants have expanded delivery services and direct-to-consumer alcohol sales. Sales of labels for less-expensive beer, wine, and spirits, and for pre-mixed drinks, such as pre-mixed cocktails for the direct-to-consumer market, should continue to grow. In addition, expect to see the growth of labels for fruit juices, sodas, water, energy drinks, sports drinks, tonics, and elixirs
- Food Supplement Labels: for vitamins and minerals and for food supplements in liquid, capsule, or powder form
The impact of the pandemic on how business is conducted, whether on sales, marketing or production, has been profound. The effects of this ongoing crisis have supercharged trends that were already in place and growing before 2020.
Since business travel and exhibitions may not fully recover before the end of 2021, and it appears that we will have to live with travel restrictions, social distancing and reduced budgets for awhile still, virtual marketing will be key. All businesses will need to implement digital marketing strategies in order to survive and thrive.
|Supplement Bottle Labels|
A number of factors will be driving an increasing move toward digital label printing. These include:
- The always-evolving demands of label customers. Based on the rising expectations of online consumers and brands for quality product, digital labels, with their crisp images and vibrant, saturated colors, fill the bill.
- The shortening life cycles of mass-produced goods. This in turn leads to a greater demand for increased production speed and delivery; since digital label printing by-passes the need for plates, it requires a shorter time frame to complete a project.
- The ever-increasing regulatory content required on products. As copy changes occur, these can be made with greater facility using a digital press.
- Transparent Labels: Growing in popularity, transparent labels appeal to many buyers with a growing interest in knowing about the ingredients of products that will be consumed or otherwise used, especially in the home. Clear, see-through labels, utilizing such materials as clear BOPP or polypropylene, are often the best choice for this effect when placed on clear or colored glass or plastic containers.
- Eco-Friendly Labels: Another established and growing trend is a greater use of eco-friendly label materials, due to rising concerns among consumers about issues of sustainability. While this once served only a niche market, it is becoming increasingly popular and significant to consumers. Innovative technologies in adhesives and inks help to make labels more eco-friendly.
- Textured Labels: Labels with a pleasant feeling texture can be just as engaging to a buyer as those with an attractive appearance . Texture can be a key factor in creating a heightened purchasing experience for buyers, so an embossed label, for example, can set a product apart not just by its look, and is often the best choice for goods with a higher price point.
- Bold Imagery: Minimalism, with simple designs and muted colors. has been popular for several years. There is a growing trend away from this aesthetic, featuring vibrant colors, larger patterns, and intricate details.
- Retro-Futuristic Design Aesthetics: This type of design allows the consumer to enjoy a nostalgic mid-century effect coupled with high-tech elements, using a look meant to evoke a view of the future through the lens of the past.
What is Driving the Growth of Private Labeling?
The appeal of private labeling is the relatively lower cost of entry, because with a finished product to sell, the business has less upfront cost for such overhead as R&D. Following are growth trends for some products that lend themselves to private labeling.
|Snack Food Labels|
1.) A Growing Focus on Snacks and Specialty Diet Foods. To serve the needs of consumers spending far more time in front of screens than before: frozen pizza, pasta and rice dishes; chips of all kinds, dried foods like beef jerky, and salsas. Sales catering to specialty diets--vegetarian and vegan, ketogenic, Atkins, paleo, the Zone, kosher, raw food, and gluten-free cooking and baking — already booming going into 2020, show no signs of slowing down.
2.) A Rising Movement Towards Health and Wellness. Catering especially to diet/fitness- conscious younger consumers, the supplement market is projected to reach $230 billion by 2027. Sleep capsules, pre-and/or probiotic formulas; protein powders; ketogenic supplements; muscle-growth formulas for body builders; bone broth in liquid or powder forms; and vitamin/mineral supplements, are prime for private labeling.
|Pet Product Bottle Labels|
3.) The Rise of Print-on-Demand (POD) and Drop Shipping of Clothing and Accessories: The speed and efficiency of POD, which lets items be printed as soon as an order is made, often with no minimums, coupled with direct shipping from manufacturer to buyer on behalf of the entrepreneur selling the goods, provides a fertile field for private labeling. The ability to customize/personalize products is a game changer, allowing smaller retailers to compete in a space once dominated by brick-and-mortar establishments and mass merchandising.
4.) An Expanding Interest in Cosmetics. The makeup/skin care market is driven by innovations and improvements to cosmetics formulas and packaging as well as the rise of digital culture. Even though mask wearing is expected to continue through 2021, there are also the selfies and videos displayed on social media platforms, virtual meetings, conferences and parties, where appearance still has its importance. Skin cleansers and treatment formulas, lipsticks, mascaras, foundations, powders, concealers, and blushes are all good subjects for private labeling. The packaging for these products has evolved and with it, the need and opportunities for innovative labeling.
5.) The Rapid Growth of the Market for Mens' Grooming Products. With phenomenal growth in shaving products — beard oils, washes, balms and scrubs; razors and shaving soaps, in addition to skin lotions and sunscreen, there are great private labeling prospects here.